Using 95 ExpressUsing 95 Express is straightforward. Simply enter the express lanes at SR 112. There are some guidelines for using these lanes:
- You must have a SunPass transponder. 95 Express use is monitored electronically and photographs are taken of vehicles using the lane illegally.
- You may only enter or exit 95 Express at designated points. If you enter 95 Express by accident, you must travel to the end at the Golden Glades interchange.
Tolls and Toll ExemptionsThe toll charged to enter 95 Express varies with the time of day and congestion level on the express lanes. The minimum toll is $0.25, but you aren’t likely to see that outside of the wee hours of the morning. FDOT expects that the toll won’t increase above $2.65 at this time, but they do have the option of raising the toll as high as $6.20 in extreme circumstances.
The following categories of vehicles are not required to pay a toll and do not need a SunPass transponder:
- Three-passenger carpools registered with FDOT
- Hybrid vehicles registered with FDOT
- Official South Florida Vanpools
Expansion PlansThe current 95 Express system will be supplemented with two additional phases:
- Phase 1B, to be developed by the end of 2009, will add southbound express lanes between the Golden Glades interchange and SR 112
- Phase 2, which will begin in 2010, will extend 95 Express to I-595.