Miami's animal shelters offer residents the opportunity to adopt a pet. Dogs and cats available for adoption are listed in an online database that includes photos and descriptions of each available animal. Take the opportunity to select a pet on the web and bring home your family's new addition from the shelter!
Time Required: 3 hours
- Visit the adoption website and select a pet that is a good match for your home. You'll be able to specify the gender, age, size and color you desire and then sort through the results by looking at photos and descriptions.
- Write down the identification number (the letter A followed by a seven digit number) for the pet(s) you're interested in adopting.
- Visit the Miami Dade Animal Shelter located at 7401 NW 71st Street in Miami. You can call ahead at (305) 884-1101. The shelter is open for adoptions Monday-Friday 11AM-6:30PM and 11AM-4PM weekends. They are closed on all major holidays.
- You can't reserve a pet over the phone. However, if you visit the shelter in person you can place a "hold" on an animal prior to taking it home.
- If you don't own a home, you'll need to have proof that your landlord allows pets. This proof must contain the height/weight restrictions. If your landlord doesn't impose height or weight restrictions, the proof must specify that fact.
- If you're adopting an unneutered/unspayed pet, you'll need to sign an agreement that you will spay or neuter the pet. Miami offers options for low-cost spaying/neutering.
- If you're adopting a pet with a medical condition, you'll be required to sign a medical waiver.
- You must purchase a dog license if you have a dog in Miami Dade County over the age of 4 months.
What You Need:
- Proof of home ownership or permission from your landlord
- Driver's license
- Proof of age (you must be 18 or older)