1. Local
Renee Chapple

Key West Nude Beach

By August 2, 2009

A nude beach on Key West? Why not? It fits right in with the island's image of debauchery, drunkenness and nudity. According to a recent Miami Herald report, a Key West clothing-optional beach may soon become a reality if an October 6th referendum passes the city commission and is approved by voters. What would this do for tourism in Key West? Would there be an impact on Haulover Nude Beach? Is this an appropriate addition to Key West?

Offer your opinion by joining the discussion on the About Miami forum!

Comments

August 2, 2009 at 7:32 am
(1) nudiarist says:

Nude sunbathing is NOT about debauchery and drunkenness. This is a misconception which is propagated by people who know nothing about the lifestyle. I suggest that people visit the web site of South Florida Free Beaches Naturist Association to learn the truth about family-friendly nude sunbathing – http://www.sffb.com/

August 2, 2009 at 1:13 pm
(2) D. Kirkpatrick says:

What a remarkable, one-sided and biased comment for an About.Com guide to issue. People look to About.Com for information and BOTH sides of a story so they can make up their own minds.

This article/blog did nothiong to advance About.Com in the area of user-provided data to assist readers in making up their own minds.

If you have an agenda, please take it to a personal blog. About.Com deserves better from its guides.

August 2, 2009 at 1:51 pm
(3) Dan says:

Debauchery & drunkenness?????? What does that have to do with a nude beach?

As parents of 3 wonderful kids we are raising them to honor and respect the body and would have no problem taking them to a wholesome family oriented nude beach like Haulover, but not a beach where debauchery, drunkenness or other adult behavior is present. What I expect is that the Key West will follow in the footsteps of Haulover and create something the whole family can enjoy.

August 2, 2009 at 3:05 pm
(4) Rick Romig says:

While nudity may sometimes accompany drunkenness and debauchery, the latter two have no place on a nude beach. Nudism is a family-friendly lifestyle. On nude beaches you’ll find that everyone is friendlier, a greater sense of community, and a cleaner beach than you’ll usually find at beaches that are not clothing optional.

I’d much rather go to a clothing-optional beach than a clothing-required beach. And I gave up drunkenness and debauchery more than 20 years before I became a nudist.

August 4, 2009 at 12:01 pm
(5) Liz Egger says:

I have to agree with the previous comments.The author has allowed her personal prejudices to spoil About.com’s reputation for providing impartial information.
As a lifelong naturist I’ve visited nudist beaches all over the world and not come across any debauchery or drunkeness ( although I confess to enjoying a glass or two of wine whilst naked myself!), and as for nudity, what does she expect on a nude beach?
I can only assume that the author is confusing nude beaches with “normal” textile beaches where drunkeness is commonplace and debauchery is not unknown. Perhaps she should get out more!

August 4, 2009 at 2:47 pm
(6) Dan says:

A nude beach would be a great sddition to Key West. I for one would visit it often.

August 4, 2009 at 9:51 pm
(7) Chet Larson says:

The only place I’ve seen rampant drunkeness and debauchery is on textile beaches. Clearly you’ve never visited a CO beach or else you wouldn’t have made such a bigoted statement. One of the most family-friendly beaches I have visited was Haulover Beach. Maybe you should make a visit to determine what the experience is really like before you make such closed-mindness assertions. It’s disappointing your paper allows space for such unsubstantiated dribble.

August 4, 2009 at 10:36 pm
(8) Jeff says:

A nude beach would have neither drunkeness nor debauchery. Nudists are acutely aware of many non-nudist’s views that nudism equals sex and as such, would not tolerate such behavior. I have been a nudist for over 20 years and have been to nudist beaches and facilities in the U.S. and abroad and am amazed at the friendliness and propriety of nudists. While nudism is not everyone’s cup of tea, the citizens of Key West can be assured that a nude beach would be safer and cleaner than any textile beach.

August 5, 2009 at 2:33 am
(9) James says:

I’m agreeing with the above comments. The author is clearly allowing her bias about certain events that occur in Key West and applying them to the entire island/community. Sadly it is Ms. Chapple’s lack of understanding and ignorance that perpetuates the wider misconception that exists towards nudists and naturists. Ms. Chapple does ask relevant questions about how the impact on a nude beach in Key West would/could affect other beaches in the Florida region, but this is not really the focus of the commentary (instead it is the link of naturism and debauchery). I invite Ms. Chapple to go visit Haulover Beach and experience the life of a nudist, and look for all the drunkenness and debauchery that exists … I doubt she will find any at all. In fact, Ms. Chapple may just find out how plain, and “normal” nudists really are, many of whom probably share many of the same values as Ms. Chapple.

August 12, 2009 at 9:06 am
(10) Ivett says:

NO NUDE BEACH FOR KEY WEST TODAY, TOMORROW OR IN THE FUTURE. PERIOD! The people of Key West don’t want it. I have talked to neighbors and parents of school children. They all said NO. If you want more prove, I will get the 3,000 signature my girlfriend already collected protesting the initiative.

August 24, 2009 at 7:09 am
(11) ernest says:

i from cape town,south-africa we have fab nude beach in nature reserve and it is a must if you visit south-africa..the name of the beach is Sandy Bay ands it is packed from nov. to end of april..

August 24, 2009 at 5:03 pm
(12) You Know Who says:

Ivett, we suggest you and you closed minded frends do not visit what is sure to be a great new attraction in Key West. We have found that it is always the ones who beat their bibles the loadest that are trying to drown out the sounds of their own debauchery. Shall we look into Ivett’s closets…what will we find? A great man once said, he withoust sin, cast the first stone. Put the stone down Ivett, GOD is watching and He hate hypocrites.

August 28, 2009 at 12:28 pm
(13) Thomas says:

Isn’t ironic that a person from the state that practically invented Spring Break, or at least brought it to it’s present level, would be concerned about drunkeness and debauchery? I would think a nude beach would be the least of your concerns

January 4, 2010 at 2:01 pm
(14) Dave says:

Nudist does NOT equal debauchery and drunkenness. In fact, i’m a nudist & never drink alcohol.

January 22, 2010 at 2:07 pm
(15) total says:

I would love to see a nude beach at key west, but leave the drunkeness and bad behavior out of it. If you want to see what those type of problems present, then just go to Sunset Beach in Treasure Island during the summer. It’s not pretty. Nude is what it is, no more. Let the problem children go to the other beaches.

February 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm
(16) Mike says:

I am all for the drunkeness and debauchery at a key west nude beach…

March 6, 2010 at 9:13 pm
(17) budheadd says:

As a regular at Marreros Guest Mansion I feel sorry for John if this initiative is passed. As it will surely hurt his monopoly on clothing optional sunning. BUT I WOULD WELCOME IT AS IT WOULD ALLOW US TO STAY IN THE
BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD LONGER.

March 16, 2010 at 2:26 pm
(18) Rich says:

We are considering going to KW next March we have been to St Martin the last few years,this was the first thing I googled to see if there was a nude beach….guess not.
Cheers
Rich

November 2, 2010 at 4:41 pm
(19) Jean says:

I have been to Haulover Beach and I didn’t see anyone drunk or even acting drunk. It was my first experience at a nude beach and I loved the feeling of freedom that you get to sunbathe nude. I am planning to go back. We met some really nice people there and they visit often. If Key West doesn’t want to add a nude beach, then we will just go elsewhere. No big deal.

November 17, 2010 at 8:53 pm
(20) art says:

Nude sun bathing fits right in with the Key West’s image of debauchery and drunkenness? This statement offends on so many levels.

January 3, 2011 at 10:06 pm
(21) Drake says:

How sad some people are so offended by unclothed bodies that they would canvas the island collecting signatures for a petition against a nude beach. What small, oppressed, fearful minds they must have. Here’s an idea. If you don’t like the idea of a nude beach, don’t visit one!

May 16, 2011 at 2:37 pm
(22) John Hayes says:

I really miss the old Atlantic Shores; it was the closest thing to a nude beach in Key West.

What is going on towards getting a nude beach in Key West these days?

September 30, 2011 at 9:50 pm
(23) Manny says:

I am a nudist, I belong to a resort in Georgia which is quite family oriented and not a swinging resort like one very plush that does not even need mentioning. If any beach, anywhere, is run with the strickness and policies of the AANR, public officials can rest assured that drunks, gays and lesbians will not be doing their thing in front of people who do not appreciate it even less in front of children. I have always said that if God would have wanted me clothed when I was born, he would have made us wear a tux or a cocktail dress. Nuf said. Pass it and forget what hipocrits say that want to participate but have to make it known they do not want to so they can remain soooooo decent.

September 9, 2012 at 5:37 am
(24) jean-pierre Renault says:

poor America so far behind..with all its wrong “religious ” problems…

February 10, 2013 at 7:39 pm
(25) Lance says:

Do they currently have nude beaches in Key West, and if so, is public sex allowed on the beach in full view of others? Because that is what I am looking for.

March 7, 2013 at 2:02 pm
(26) Kevin says:

Hey Manny what is it that gays and lesbians do that you feel you have to lump them in with drunks?

March 27, 2013 at 4:22 pm
(27) J.Lane says:

A nude beach would be a great addition to Key West. I would visit it every time I go to key west.

I too am offended at the editor’s (Abought.com) opinion of what a nude beach is!