1. Local
This week’s news brought us amazing reports of snow in the desert southwest, including the city of Las Vegas. That caused many of us to wonder if it ever snows in South Florida. Some quick research reveals that it can indeed snow in Miami, but it’s highly unlikely. In fact, it’s only happened once in recorded history.

On January 19, 1977, Miami received its first and only recorded snowfall. It only consisted of extremely light flurries, but this Blizzard of 1977 is the only snowfall our fair city has ever seen.

Read more about snow in Miami in our Miami Weather and Climate FAQ

Comments

February 5, 2009 at 12:59 pm
(1) Alex says:

I disagree…it snowed while I was standing on a corner on Key Biscayne sometime early in the morning while waiting for a school bus. I was attending Shenandoah Jr. Hi. at the time which would make it circa 1969. It was just a quick flurry, but it did snow.

February 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm
(2) Les Roberts says:

Yes it snowed on that day and Miami Lakes Jr high let us leave early in case it got worse and heavy flakes falling on the walk home.

February 6, 2009 at 8:19 am
(3) miami says:

That very well could be the case. It’s a few years before my time, but it’s possible that it has snowed in areas of south Florida prior to 1977. However, that date was the first time that the National Weather Service officially recorded snow at one of their Miami weather stations.

March 31, 2009 at 10:21 pm
(4) bobby winlly says:

actually it snowed two more times once in 1981 when a few flurries fell across downtown and in Fort Lauderdale one late night, and on christmas eve 1989 in the Kendall Sunset and South Miami areas and accumulated to about 0.25 inches and melted the next day.

June 7, 2009 at 12:58 pm
(5) Dean says:

Miami gets more “snow” than any other city in the United States..

December 21, 2009 at 11:14 pm
(6) Dave says:

I was a teenager visiting my mom in Miami, in 1989, and distinctly remember it snowing on Xmas eve (I don’t distinctly remember the year, I’m basing that on what Bobby said). I can’t remember the name of the area my mom’s house was in, but it was in Miami. I’ve also seen light snow in Ocala and Jacksonville several times in the 1970s and 1980s.

January 10, 2010 at 12:44 am
(7) Diane says:

I remember driving down US1, in the Coconut Grove Area in the Winter of 79-80 and seeing snow flurries. It did not really accumulate but it was definitely white and coming down… It was my first winter here from CT and I couldn’t figure out why there was such a fuss over a little snow… ha!

January 10, 2010 at 10:05 am
(8) Ferpow13 says:

to think it snowed yesterday here in miami and i barely remember it

(January 9, 2010)

December 22, 2010 at 8:18 pm
(9) Dave says:

You people are crazy. It NEVER snows in Miami.

January 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm
(10) john says:

It’ll snow in miami when the dolphins win the super bowl

January 11, 2011 at 3:11 pm
(11) Rocko4ever says:

Lol at John…ur right about that!!!

May 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm
(12) Budget Travel Guide says:

I personally witnessed very light snow flurries in Fort Lauderdale on the morning of January 19, 1977. I was a junior in high school and drove a car with a black top. All the way to school, it was being reported there was snow here and snow there as I listened to the radio. I would never have believed it, but I saw the snowflakes on my car roof with my own two amazed eyes.

These were the most pathetic, microscopic snowflakes I’ve ever seen, but they were snowflakes.

Snow was in the forecast for Christmas Eve 1989, but I never saw it happen that time…

July 27, 2012 at 1:38 am
(13) Sean says:

Ask the DEA how much snow they have seen in Miami!

August 5, 2012 at 8:16 pm
(14) Dontrelle says:

It’s starting to be a rare sight to get snow in New Jersey now. Ah, we only have about 4 1/2 months til the end of the world anyway.

October 31, 2012 at 9:06 pm
(15) Alejandro says:

Well FL it’s south of The USA in Miami it’s almost tropical zone but its temperere zone maybe 1 In 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 well u get the idea it’s really hard 4 it 2 snow on Miami but it snows

June 25, 2013 at 12:06 pm
(16) Charlie says:

Yes it did snow in Miami, I remember it clearly. I remember my mom and brother woke me and told me to go outside to see it and when I went outside there was actually snow on the cars, and I even made a small snowball. it was around the size of a large Ice cube, but it was clearly snow. and yes it was right around the time of the Dolphins perfect season in “72″ so maybe that’s why, I don’t know, it could have been around “77″ as the news “officially” reported it, but I’m pretty sure it was closer to “72″ I know there has been flurries reported now and then, but I clearly remember that day specifically.

November 28, 2013 at 11:59 am
(17) Warren Gibbs says:

I was raised in Miami, Florida, and I never saw snow until I went to Pennsylvania for Christmas in 1960.
For those of us who are older, you may remember that in the winter of 1960-61, it snowed in Miami, Florida.
I was watching the Today show on KDKA, Pittsburgh, PA, CBS, and they reported that it was currently snowing in Miami and showed pictures.
I was told by relatives that it had snowed one time in Miami, in the 40′s.

January 7, 2014 at 10:49 am
(18) Daisy says:

It did snow in Miami, FL in 1969. I was working my first job in a department that had no windows,and my friend got a call from her mom that it was snowing. It lasted a short time and by the time I got out of work it was all gone, but my mom had gathered some snow and put it in our freezer so I could see it when I got home.